1,000 signatures reached
To: Australian Parliamentarians
Stand Up For Super! Pay super on every dollar earned & get super working for women
The superannuation system is failing women:
• 1 in 3 women will retire into poverty.
• The superannuation balances of women are 47% lower than for men
Australia’s Universal superannuation system is the difference between poverty and a decent retirement for most workers.
Because of the hard work of ASU members already the Superannuation Guarantee has now been legislated to go up to 11% as of July 1 2023 and will continue to increase to 12% by 2025.
But there’s more to do.
Super still isn’t paid on every dollar earned so many go years without being able to add to their retirement savings
We call on our parliamentarians to:
1. Help close the gender super gap by paying super on paid parental leave as well as on all government carer and family payments.
2. Put in place structures that encourage superannuation contribution sharing when only one parent is working.
3. Fund government co-contribution top-ups for workers who are not on track for a decent retirement.
We need to lock in a secure retirement for all women.
We must continue to upgrade the super system we’ve already built to guarantee a secure, dignified retirement for all working people.
Why is this important?
The Australian Services Union is campaigning to Get Super Working For Women, following research which showed that the superannuation system is failing women. Women are retiring into poverty, with only, on average, half as much superannuation as men.