New Migrant Workers Centre Campaign
Migrant workers in Victoria are sometimes treated like an underclass. We face language and cultural barriers, insecure employment arrangements, discrimination and sometimes precarious visa arrangements. These things make us vulnerable to bad employers.
The Migrant Workers Centre helps migrant workers in Victoria connect with other migrant workers, understand our rights and get empowered to enforce them.
The Migrant Workers Centre can:
- Educate workers about issues regarding workplace safety and rights
- Assist workers from emerging communities to address problems they encounter at workplaces
- Collaborate with community partners to organise events and grassroots campaigns focusing on workplace rights for migrants
- Bridge language barriers that limit workers’ access to information
- Promote workplace rights on our own media platforms, as well as mainstream and ethnic community media outlet