100 signatures reached
To: Macquarie University Council
Declare a Climate Emergency at Macquarie University
We staff, students, and members of the public call on the University's Council to formally declare a Climate Emergency and to prepare Macquarie University for known consequences.
We seek the following immediate measures:
1. HEALTH GUIDELINES: clear guidelines for students and staff about air quality, very high temperatures, and adverse weather events that affect our Campus;
2. CLIMATE STRATEGY: development and publication of a Climate Innovation Strategy to increase the University's support for low-carbon innovation, adaptation, and climate research;
3. ANNUAL STATEMENT: an annual statement on the University's progress towards its Climate Innovation goals;
4. TEACH IT: a commitment to teach aspects of climate change science and research throughout the curriculum; and
5. SUPPORT SCIENCE: a public assertion of the role of research, from across the natural, physical, and social sciences and the humanities, in contributing to informed debate, evidence-based decision making and policy.
Why is this important?
1. OUR HEALTH MATTERS: This is important because climate change is affecting our health and wellbeing.
2. OUR TECHNOLOGY CAN HELP: Universities have a major role to play in the science and technology necessary to deal with the consequences of climate change on human societies and the ecosystem.
3. OUR EDUCATION CHANGES LIVES: Universities educate our community, workers, and future leaders about science, public policy, and the threats of climate change.