1,000 signatures reached
To: Stuart Robert, Federal Minister, National Disability Insurance Scheme
Keep our disability workers SAFE and SUPPORTED.
My name is Delma, I'm a support worker in disability services in Western Australia.
Today I'm representing disability workers from three unions who are calling on the Federal Government to act immediately to ensure the ongoing safety of people with a disability and the disability workforce during the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Federal Government must take action now to ensure that people with disability are able to safely access services.
The Government needs to urgently:
- Provide funding to ensure all workers in the disability sector, regardless of employment status, do not go without pay when their ability to provide a service is disrupted due to COVID-19.
- Provide personal protective equipment (PPE) and additional cleaning services to keep workers and people with disability safe.
- Provide ongoing infection control training.
- Deliver wage increases to ensure workers are supported to continue delivering high-quality and safe services to people with a disability.
- Work with the disability unions and the broader sector to prepare for a surge in workforce need so that new workers are appropriately trained, supported and safe.
Why is this important?
During this crisis, there is no more important time to show our support for Australia's most vulnerable citizens.
They deserve to be safe and supported, and the workforce they rely on need to be safe and supported as well.
These measures need to apply to all people with disability and the workers who support them – not just those funded through the NDIS.
If we are going to beat this crisis, we need action now.
Demand action. Sign the petition NOW.